Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sao Paulo

Just got back after a week in beautiful Brazil for a our regional enhancement seminar.


It was amazing to say the least! I loved meeting all the other Fulbright ETAs and getting inspired about what to bring back with me to Uruguay.

First we spent two nights in Sao Paulo, the largest city in South America, the fourth largest in the world. The cityscape from the plane flying in was quite impressive. Skyscrapers in every direction which would be expected from a city of more than 17 million people, I suppose. The first night we were there we ate a restaurant that served endless meat that waiters brought around to you on enormous skewers. Gluttony. That is the only word to describe such a meal.


While in the city we also got a chance to visit Jardim da Luz Park and the Pinacoteca Art Museum that had a special exhibit by the painter Fernand Leger. I enjoy his work.


It just so happened that the night we decided to stay in downtown Sao Paulo was the same day as the world's largest gay pride parade. While we didn't actually see the parade, we did see the aftermath. There were, um, interesting characters out and about on the streets. I was too afraid to take out my camera, but I did catch a shot of the riot control police trying to crowd after the event. My first taste of Brazil was errrr, hard to describe. If you want to know more ask me.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an interesting trip.

    I am glad that it was refreshing and inspiring for you.

    ReplyDelete